Saturday, September 16, 2017

Recognition

I have always had a hard time accepting compliments. It is not that I don't appreciate it. Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel like everyone's eyes are on me and I fight to find words to say. Other times I can't identify with what they see. I see all my faults rather than my strengths.

However, I love giving people compliments and telling them how much I appreciate them. I try to give a compliment or say thank you to everyone I encounter. Last year, people shared how I have impacted their life as 40th birthday gift. It was very humbling and made me realize I need to take in the compliments as well as the criticism.  As a start, I would like to share two great compliments I received last month.

PAEMST
I almost fell out of my chair when I read through my emails on August 9th. The state director of elementary mathematics and coordinator of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching shared with me that I was one of 3 state finalist (see email below). Although I may not be chosen at the national level, I am honored to be recognized for my teaching at the state level.
Email confirming my selection for PAEMST


Teacher of the Month
Marquee displaying James Womack and I as teacher of the month
At the beginning of September, I was informed by my principal that I was selected by my peers to be the teacher of the month along with another co-worker. I thought it was going to be just a simple recognition in the school newsletter. I was blown away when I saw my name on the school marquee. Although we do not need to put everyone's names up in lights, it is important to appreciate people. I realized this month that I can't stop appreciating people and it does feel good to be appreciated.

How do you show colleagues and students you appreciate them?

No comments: