Tuesday, November 20, 2018

More than Academics

I love the holiday season. Although it can be really hectic due to holiday parties and searching for the perfect gift, I try to focus on the reason for the season. It is a time for me to remember to appreciate everyone and everything around me. Today, I was really reminded of how much I appreciate my life and one of the fundamental purposes of school.

A few weeks ago, one of the special education English classes read the book, The Boy Who Carried Bricks. The students were so moved by the author's story they wrote letters to the author. The author was so moved by one of the student's letter he came and spoke to them personally. He told the student he will put his letter in the next printing of his book!

His story was so powerful that admin asked if he could come speak to our entire school. As Alton Carter spoke to an auditorium full of teenagers, I was reminded of why our students need more experiences like this one.
Today, our students were reminded that they are not defined by their current circumstances. Our students saw someone who was just like them share how he is always working to improve. Our students realized sometimes people are going through tremendous pain and may cause others pain to cope. Our students were reminded of how powerful our words can be so choose them wisely. They learned that forgiveness is more for them then the person who hurt them. Finally, our students were reminded to be thankful as they enter the holiday season.

Unfortunately, in school we can focus so much on the standards and the test that we forget that learning is more than facts and figures. We are molding people which means we need to help them connect with something greater than themselves. Today, I am so thankful we had Alton Carter speak to our students. Tomorrow, I am going to work to have more Carter moments for my students.

How do you or will you create Carter moments?


No comments: