Saturday, July 11, 2009

Getting Ready for IMSA

I can't believe the time is already here. The summer is passing by quickly. Tomorrow, I will be on a plane heading for Aurora, IL which is about 45 minutes from Chicago. I will be attending the Illinois Science and Math Academy's PBL Coaching Institute for the next two weeks. I have wanted to attend this institute since I came across it during a search two years ago. Thanks to Funds for Teachers, I am able to attend the institute.

The institute enables teachers to understand how to implement problem based learning in the classroom. According to IMSA,  problem based learning (PBL) is focused experiential learning organized around the investigation and resolution of messy, real-world problems. Problem based learning is a subcategory of project based learning. The first week of the institute is focused on participants being learners in a problem and then creating a problem for our own classroom. The second week is what I am really excited about which is mentoring middle school students the next week with a coach. Although I have implemented projects in my classroom for the last four years, I am excited to have a coach to show me any pitfalls or areas of strength. 

I will be posting messages, video and photos about my experience everyday for the next two weeks. Please follow along and comment.

No comments: